Wednesday, February 10, 2010


The last few posts have been pretty long, so I thought it might be a good idea to shift the balance to something lighter today.

I think it's always interesting to see what a
rt an artist keeps - here's Cezanne's The Three Bathers. Matisse bought this, a bust by Rodin, a Van Gogh drawing, and a few other pieces even though he and his wife were in dire financial straits.
Here's Head of a Boy by Gauguin:


What would you want nearby to study and enjoy?
Any of these? Here's Matisse's Dos I (Back I), 1908-9 - probably shipping from France would be prohibitive, so maybe I'd have to pass on this, but isn't it powerful and mysterious in the way the figure's face is turned away?


What about Vuillard? Here's Mother and Sister of the Artist, 1893. Talk about playing with perspective and decorative pattern. (And it would work well hanging over the dinner table at Thanksgiving - keep everyone in line. . .)


Diebenkorn? Here's Albuquerque, 1951. (I have been there and it looks just like this.)



Something more contemporary? I'd love to see what you'd want to look at every day.

3 comments:

  1. Probably
    Why Does He Run?
    by Paul Klee, 1932. So simple and delightful that I can't imagine ever tiring of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen this - it's amazing what he can do with a few lines, so freely drawn. Thanks,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mohavevehicular . . .

    The Klee is concise, but also the wit -- I love the simplicity that's also Knowing . . .

    Suzanne, I love Vuillard more & more . . . there's something that feels like complicity in how he opens the interior -- just barely -- to include the viewer . . . his interiors have that scrunched scale & insidious palette, but rich and complex.

    I will have to think more, about what One Work I'd want . . . rather a provocation . . .

    Thanks you for Your wit & Insights!

    ReplyDelete