Friday, August 28, 2009

"It is precisely from the regret left by the imperfect work that the next work can be born." Odilon Redon

Does it ever get easier to keep the critical mind at bay while making art? Maybe it helps to realize that not every piece will work out, but that maybe something small can be salvaged or learned from every piece.

My new int
erest in printmakers and their influence on Western art has led me to the discovery of some contemporary printmakers whose work I like. Below is a linocut by Anne Moore, an artist from Dana Point. When we discusssed attitudes toward regret about imperfect work, she recalled the words of one of her teachers: "first time, mistake; second time, technique." Here's Catching the Wind:

You can't look at a lot of prints without having it affect your approach to composition, so I've been spending a little more time on notans, making a few simple, small ones before I begin any painting. I think they're very helpful in clarifying value choices. Sometimes when I'm already in the middle of a painting and feeling lost, I can return to the notans to get my bearings. Do you do thumbnails, more complete sketches or something else?

The first notan was reversed, with more dark than light, but I wound up choosing this high value pattern in the end. Based on a picture taken while heading to Bainbridege Island and called, Crossing at 2. Couldn't resist including my daughter's sandaled foot in the foreground since I seem to interested in curves and shape fragments lately.




No comments:

Post a Comment